Sunday, November 30, 2008

Thanksgiving in London

Celebrating Thanksgiving in a country in which it has no meaning was hard. On Thanksgiving Day, I had classes all day long just as if it were any other day. It was really unusual for me, as I am used to spending the day eating with family. I ended up going out to see a movie (Four Christmases), as I tried to get my mind off my homesickness. It was the first day that I really just wanted to be at home.

Then, on Saturday, I went to my friend Sarah's flat in the East End for a full Thanksgiving dinner at hers. I
volunteered to make my grandparent's cranberry sauce recipe and got all the ingredients to take to her flat because I didn't have a blender to make it beforehand. She had invited Annie, another girl in my halls, and so Annie and I went together. We arrived to find that Sarah's boyfriend had invited more people and there were nine of us altogether! My cranberry sauce turned out excellent (I think so anyway!) and the dinner was really tasty and made me feel like I wasn't missing Thanksgiving totally....though it really was nothing like home :)


No comments: