Monday, October 20, 2008

Bradgate Park and Kirby Muxloe Castle

Matt and I went to his family's home in the country again the weekend of October 17-19, as our return trip tickets on our last journey back weren't checked, so we still had a valid one-way ticket back and only needed to buy a ticket to get there (which is much, much cheaper)! Anyway, we had another list of places to go and things to do while in the country and with access to a car! Friday afternoon, we went to lunch with Matt's mum (that's how they say mom) at the oldest pub in Leicestershire, which is actually within walking distance of his house. The pub has been there since 1290- long before America had even been discovered! The baguette sandwich lunch I had was delicious too :)



Later that day, we went to Tesco, the grocery store in Ashby, to get ingredients for me to make his family Snickerdoodles (they don't have Snickerdoodles). I couldn't find shortening, so made due with lard instead...which might not have been the best idea. Somewhere along the line, the ingredients didn't mix well and I believe the batch of Snickerdoodles I ended up making tasted nothing like they should have. Nonetheless, they were tasty enough to eat and his family liked them all the same. My mission now is to make a good match of Snickerdoodles so they can know how they're suppose to taste! Matt also tried to make me something I had never had before- a Bakewell tart. His recipe also somehow got messed up and didn't turn out the way he wanted, though it did taste pretty good. I'm hoping he makes it again!

Then on Saturday we drove to one of the places Matt had been raving about- Bradgate Park. I wasn't sure how a park could be so amazing...until I got there. It was lovely! There was a stream running through the park and deer everywhere, as it is also a deer sanctuary. The ruins of Lady Jane Grey's house remain in the park as well. She lived there before stealing the throne and then being executed for doing so. We even met a peacock that I named Joe while we were eating lunch on a bench next to the ruins.









On our way back from Bradgate Park, we stopped at Kirby Muxloe Castle, which is now mostly ruins surrounded by a the moat. There wasn't too much to see there though, so we were only there to walk around the ruins and across the bridge (which you can see in the background of the picture below).






1 comment:

Matthew Haywood said...

you and your urge to name and bond with random animals! haha